Jens Lekman

Thursday, November 04, 2010 | | 2 comments »

I finally saw Gertie's directorial debut, Whip It. The movie is predictable, but makes up for it's lack of originality with loads of charm, ass kicking roller derby chicks, an all-girl food fight, and a great soundtrack. I particularly loved this dreamy song by Swedish troubadour Jens Lekman that played during Ellen Page's "losing her virginity in the pool" scene. The humorous/romantic lyrics are sexually ambiguous, involve avocado, blood, and a trip to the E.R. I hear a good dollop of Morrissey, a hearty scoop of Jonathan Richman, a few tablespoons of Billy Bragg, and a soupçon of Damien Dempsey in Mr. Lekmans winsome warbling. He recorded this song in 2007 and doesn't seem to have done anything since then, so Jens, get cracking.



Download "Arms Around Me" or check out Jens' "Presents" page for a slew of other free mp3's.

2 comments

  1. Karen/Small Earth Vintage // November 4, 2010 at 12:46 PM

    I feel bad I still haven't seen this movie. A lot of it was filmed in Michigan (you probably knew that), a girl I Twitter with was an extra, and we indirectly supplied them with vintage clothing via one of the shops we sell in. You have given me the kick in the seat I needed; will watch!

    Love the song!

  2. The Rural Modernist // November 4, 2010 at 12:54 PM

    Yep, lot's of it was shot in Hamtramck and surrounding areas even though the movie is set in Austin. See it!